Crime and Punishment debate

October6

This week we have been learning about crime and punishment throughout history and how it compares with the justice system we have today.

This afternoon we held a debate discussing the pros and cons of the Anglo Saxon crime and punishment system and how it compares to our own. We had to think deeply, putting ourselves into the shoes of people from long ago to try and see things from their perspectives. We used our Talk for Learning to put across our points of view and to try and persuade others through our reasoning that our arguments were logical and correct.

What interesting facts did you learn about crime and punishment? Were Anglo Saxon laws and justice systems fair? What similarities and differences did they have with our justice system today?

image

“Crime and Punishment debate”

1. October 7th, 2016 at 6:42 am      Reply Adam Says:

I wondered that if a boy was homeless and stole to feed himself, would You chop off his hand?

2. October 7th, 2016 at 6:44 am      Reply Adam Says:

I think U shouldn’t because he is a homeless boy and he needs a pillow and a blanket and food and a sheep could give him all that

3. October 7th, 2016 at 6:48 am      Reply Adam Says:

Miss I think I would want to live in ROMAN times and not Angelo- Saxon times because in Roman times the punishments were fair but in Angelo-Saxon times there were so cruel and violent

4. October 7th, 2016 at 6:50 am      Reply Adam Says:

In both times they had a judge and jury and a court

5. October 7th, 2016 at 6:52 am      Reply Adam Says:

In the Roman times they had the people chase down the criminals and the same in Angelo-Saxon times

6. October 7th, 2016 at 6:54 am      Reply Adam Says:

The debate was hard and it changed our minds but we kept thinking of something new.

7. October 7th, 2016 at 8:52 am      Reply Frankie Says:

I really enjoyed having the debate and I hope we can do it again.

8. October 7th, 2016 at 8:55 am      Reply Adam Mustafa Says:

I was happy we did history.

9. October 7th, 2016 at 8:58 am      Reply Adam Mustafa Says:

It was amazing thanks Mrs Farrow

10. October 7th, 2016 at 10:32 am      Reply Beth Mundell Says:

I have enjoyed learning all about crime and punishments and I am excited to learn more.

11. October 7th, 2016 at 10:35 am      Reply Beth Mundell Says:

I think the punishments were to harsh in Anglo Saxon times and Roman times so I like the punishments that we have today in Britain.

12. October 7th, 2016 at 10:37 am      Reply Beth Mundell Says:

Does everyone agree with me that the punishments were too harsh especially for children.

13. October 7th, 2016 at 10:39 am      Reply Beth Mundell Says:

I enjoyed listening to the debate and adding my opinions because it was nice to hear everyone’s thoughts.

14. October 7th, 2016 at 10:40 am      Reply Beth Mundell Says:

Did anyone else enjoy the debate?

15. October 7th, 2016 at 10:48 am      Reply Adam Mustafa Says:

I am so happy about the dabate

16. October 7th, 2016 at 4:13 pm      Reply Beth Mundell Says:

If I had to choose between Roman times or Anglo Saxon times for punishments, in my opinion I would choose Roman times because they were mostly fair, still not what I would of wanted but more fair and nicer than the cruel, extreme Anglo Saxon punishments. They were kind of the same but the Romans were that little bit nicer.

17. October 7th, 2016 at 4:15 pm      Reply Beth Mundell Says:

I agree with Adam that I would rather be punished in Roman times.

18. October 7th, 2016 at 4:18 pm      Reply Beth Mundell Says:

Thank you Mrs Farrow for involving a debate in our learning( crime and punishment )because I really enjoyed it, listening to everyone’s thoughts and adding my thoughts and opinions into the debate as well. Did you enjoy listening to all our thoughts Mrs Farrow?

• October 10th, 2016 at 5:12 pm      Reply Mrs farrow Says:

I did Beth. I love it when we have debates in class but you always think of so many different things between you – some things that I hadn’t thought of myself. Well done everyone.

19. October 7th, 2016 at 4:22 pm      Reply Beth Mundell Says:

Did you swap sides Frankie and what side were you on to begin with? Do you think the punishments were fair or not? I thought it was half and half because if you did something bad you got it back to you but also the punishments were quite harsh and cruel.

20. October 8th, 2016 at 4:38 pm      Reply Frankie Says:

I agree with you Beth

21. October 8th, 2016 at 4:39 pm      Reply Frankie Says:

I would have rather been punished in Roman times because in Anglo Saxon times their punishments were really harsh and in Roman times they were more fair.

22. October 8th, 2016 at 9:29 pm      Reply Ellie Duxbury Says:

The debate was fun and it was interesting to find out what everyone thought about crime and punishments over the years. I hope there are going to be more opportunities to do debates in class

23. October 9th, 2016 at 8:03 am      Reply Beth Mundell Says:

I learnt that in Anglo Saxon times if the judge and jury couldn’t decide whether the person had committed the crime or not, they would let God decide. On one God punishment there was to jump in icy cold water and if you floated, you were guilty and would get a horrible punishment. If you drowned and didn’t come back up, you would be dead but God believed you were safe with him in heaven. It was crazy but in them times they thought it was fair and alright to be dead but in heaven with God. Did anyone else learn something new.

24. October 9th, 2016 at 8:11 am      Reply Beth Mundell Says:

The simerlarites between Anglo Saxon times and British times with punishments are that they both have a judge, jury and a cout. They also both have to pay compensations (British) or fines (Anglo Saxon) for punishments too. The difference between them both that everyone knows of is the harsh punishments in Anglo Saxon.

25. October 12th, 2016 at 8:02 pm      Reply Tillie Says:

I wasn’t here wile you did it but it sounded really fun and I would have put my point really far to make the discussion even bigger

26. October 18th, 2016 at 7:08 am      Reply George Says:

I thought it was kind of fair because if you murded someone you should have your life taken because if you take someones life you should have your life takenthen it is fair.
    I think it isnt fair because if a child steels a crop of a farm they should not have there hand choped of because they might not know rhight from rong but if an adult steels a crop they should have because they know right from rong .
    Do you rhink it is fair?

27. October 18th, 2016 at 7:08 am      Reply George Says:

Do you rhink it is fair?

28. October 18th, 2016 at 7:08 am      Reply George Says:

Do you rhink it is fair?

29. November 10th, 2016 at 9:29 pm      Reply Eddy Says:

I liked this debate and I think we all got some really good things to write about!